Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hawaii #12 In search of food

We started at the Painted Church, but found nothing but this. No hidden chocolate in the pews, not that I've ever found that on the mainland, either.
Photobucket

The writing on the wall is in Hawaiian.
Photobucket

How would you like to spend eternity with this view? There were ladies off to the side selling handmade trinkets. We were lucky that when we arrived, we were about the only ones looking at the church, but a tour bus pulled up when we were leaving so the trinket ladies had far more fertile grounds for sales than us. We slipped away in the confusion. I really didn't want a hand-woven leaf thingamajig that I wouldn't have been able take off the island anyhow. Rocks, on the other hand, are perfectly worth gathering and taking. Volcanic rock, baby. Come and get me, Pele.
Photobucket

Then we stopped at this fruit stand in search of snotballs. Some of you might call them lychees. To each his own, I say. But there were no snotballs to be had. Just the honor system for buying bananas.
Photobucket

With the fancy coffee on the island at $55/lb, I did consider relieving this tree of some of its beans. But that would be wrong. And I'm not positive this was a coffee tree.
Photobucket

So it was on to the laulau place, where I was distracted by these girls.
Photobucket

Who wanted me to take their picture
Photobucket

and another one
Photobucket

and then try the camera themselves.
Photobucket

Fortunately, there were laulau(s?) ready.
Photobucket

These banana leaves were being readied for a future batch.
Photobucket

But we still needed more food. So it was off to the grocery store for poke, aka, the raw fish I will not eat.
Photobucket

SH, however, thinks this stuff is nectar.
Photobucket

Then we watched the sun set over the water, collected some legal rocks, and changed into our airplane clothes in the parking lot. The end.
Photobucket

2 comments:

GirlBlogger said...

Oh, I hate the end of vacation. It looks like a wonderful trip and I'm sure it was a great break from the arctic north.

Benita said...

We've had snow here in Memphis once during your trip! The pictures are so colorful and "springlike"; hope you find a warming trend when you return home!