Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Marriage 101, Lecture 28: Living the life of Riley

The dilemma: whether to apply for a part-time professional position at the small college five minutes from our house.

Reasons not to apply:

1. Writing a cover letter is a pain in the neck.
2. I might get the job.
3. And if I get the job, I will have to work.
4. If I work, I will have to wear Decent Clothes. Of which I have none. As my old work clothes are out of style. Not to mention way too tight. (Marriage has been berry, berry good to me.)
5. If I work, I will have to take a shower every day.
6. If I work, when I'm at home I will do nothing but clean and cook as opposed to now when that takes only 10% of my free time, the rest being devoted to going to the gym, watching "What Not To Wear," and lots and lots of telling people how they are WRONG on the internet.

Reasons to apply:

1. $$$$

4 comments:

Benita said...

Choose whatever makes you and SH happier! Examine your priorities. Either choice has its pros and cons.

Miss Robin said...

I'm in the same boat. I applied for a very good part-time job. The hourly rate is more than I've ever made in my life, and I only have to put the children in school and find part-time daycare for my baby (which I've already found). I just need to get hired. The recruiter told me to call on Monday. I did, but, rather than bright and early, I called at 3:00. No need to be hasty :) She didn't call back Monday or today, so I emailed her this evening. Don't want to bug her too much : ) I will say my email to her was a very decent attempt at self-promotion, something I'm not so good at. We'll see. I suspect she didn't call back, because the position is filled - it's a choice job for a mom who wants to work part-time. I really don't want to go back to work, but we need a car.

Anonymous said...

What does SH think you should do? You do have a very sweet life, getting to travel with him...flexibility is priceless!!! White-Chocolate

John0 Juanderlust said...

The daily job is often an inconvenience. You may quote me on this. Then again, it is a great opportunity to tell the poor souls at the local college that they are Wrong. And I'm betting you'd be right.