Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Marriage 101, Lecture 9: It is better to throw away than to keep

HollyB and I are both Third Culture Kids. We both grew up abroad without fixed, permanent homes and hence have some of the same attitude when it comes to stuff: get rid of it because it is too much trouble to move it. I went to ten different schools before I was graduated from high school and have moved about 15 times since college. Only five of those moves were performed by moving companies; the rest -- yours truly, which is one of the reasons I do not accumulate books. Have you ever moved books? (The other reason I don't accumulate books is because they are expensive and if I am already paying taxes to support the library, why not just get them there free?)

Anyhow. My Serious Honey, on the other hand, has moved about five times in his life. He is very attached to his stuff. Our basement is full of his stuff, including office supplies from when he worked at Apple 13 years ago, his college textbooks and notes (OK, so he got rid of those in May and we did discover that when SH was the head grader for physics in college, my college boyfriend, Bobby, worked for him, which actually isn't so bizarre because we all went to the same college and Bobby was a physics major, but I digress), love notes (I suspect -- he asked me not to look) to the object of his college affection, 14 years (at least) of BMW magazine, bunches of other magazines, 27 gimme hats, t-shirts he no longer wears but that have sentimental value, etc, etc, etc.

However. There might be gold in those hills. My new mantra with him is, "Can we sell it?" Did you know that people will pay a lot for an old beer can? Apparently, old zippo lighters are now considered collectors' items. ("Smoking art is hot!" the clerk at the trash store told me yesterday when I bought an old humidor to use as a nightstand in the guest room.) We have a bunch of old zippos. We have all kinds of old crap. We are going to get rich from my husband's hoarding. Ha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On something of a parallel track, and wondering if ebay is going to make me rich some day. fin

Holly said...

I see you are also trying to popularize my blog, which I do appreciate.
Alas, despite my anti-hoarding tendencies, I own ka-jillions of books that I have moved over and over and over. I am stupid. It's a pride thing, I had to read them all and I want people to know it. And they are easy to pack.