Friday, January 30, 2009

Wisconsin 101: What is wrong with these people?

Wednesday:

Me: Hi, Jim. I'm calling about the chair you're reupholstering for me.

Jim: Oh yes. It's taking a little longer than I thought because the frame was loose and I had to take everything apart and put it back together.

Me: (yikes!) Well, we're in no hurry. I just wanted to know when it would be ready.

Jim: I can deliver it Monday.

Me: Monday would be great. Thanks.

SH: What did he say?

Me: He had to do some extra work.

SH: How much is it going to cost?

Me: You heard everything I said.

SH: So you didn't ask? What if he doubles the price?

Me: I think he would have called to ask before doing extra work if he intended to charge a lot for it.

Today:

Me: Hi Jim. I just wanted to check on Monday. Would you prefer a check or credit card?

Jim: I'd rather have a check.

Me: OK. You had told me it would be $185 plus $40 for the delivery. Is that right?

Jim: Oh, just make it $200.

Me: But that's less than you said before.

Jim: Don't worry about it.

3 comments:

John0 Juanderlust said...

That's how to establish customer loyalty. And maybe he's bad at math and didn't want to spend too much time adding it up.

Benita said...

He sounds like a very nice person to do business with! A keeper!

Melissa said...

We're just kind folks here!