Sunday, February 15, 2009

Marriage 101, Lecture 68: Being on time

Being on time means different things to different people. For me, being on time means not only being someplace when you say you will be there but allowing extra time to get there -- you never know when traffic will be bad or your car will be hit or you won't be able to find a parking space or an asteroid will fall on your destination, although I suppose in that case, being late would be better. I like to leave well in advance of the necessary arrival time because I hate being stressed and rushed. If the plane leaves at 5:00 and it takes 20 minutes to get to the airport, I leave the house at 3:20. What's wrong with that? Better safe than sorry is what I say.

SH like that little adrenalin rush that comes with cutting things closely. He waits until the last minute not only to leave but to get ready, a practice that gives me a migraine. Fortunately, I have good drugs. But let me ask you something: If you had a flight that left at 5:00 p.m., when would you pack? When would you shower? Those are critical path activities that must, must be completed before you can leave for the airport. I would do them in the morning.

SH does them at 3:00. He flirts with danger, any time he can.

Today, he skated on the edge again. He said he would pick up tonight's movie from the library. The library closes at 4:00. At 3:30, I asked if I should just run over there. No, no. He would do it.

At 3:45, I began to get anxious. He was still upstairs, reading. I took a deep breath and reminded myself that it was not the end of the world if we didn't watch "Giant" tonight, even though I'd had to request it from another library branch, so someone had used time and money to get it to our library.

At 3:50, he came into the basement where I was watching "Entertainment Tonight" and said something about returning the corrugated plastic tubing to Menard's. I suggested that now was probably not the best time to discuss it.

Why not, he asked?

The library, I said. Don't you need to get to the library?

Oh, sure. I'll get there, he assured me.

Deep breath. There are other movies. Not the end of the world. Drugs.

At 3:55, he left.

At 4:30, I had to check my online library record for something.

The movie had been checked out.

He had made it.

Is it really wrong and unwifely of me to want him to be late just once? Isn't it better for me to want him to get to the library late rather than missing a flight? Who is this guy's guardian angel anyhow?

4 comments:

AndiMAC said...

Whoa! Even I'm not THAT bad and I'm president of the procrastinator's club.

MrScribbler said...

I was gonna comment on this -- really, I was -- but I suddenly noticed I was late going to the store and had to drop everything and run.

What was it you were saying?

John0 Juanderlust said...

I can only laugh. I mentally answered 3:00 before I read down and saw that he got ready at that time. I bet he doesn't have hypertension issues.

class-factotum said...

John. He doesn't have hypertension.

I do!