Friday, February 13, 2009

When in Rome

Remember I told you how everyone, and I mean everyone here has a Friday fish fry?

Photobucket

It's because fish fries are What is Done on Friday.

Apparently, mayonnaise and bacon are also What is Done in Milwaukee. SH and I went to a Vietnamese place last week for some soup and a sandwich. In San Francisco, a Vietnamese sandwich consists of an oven-fresh baguette, roasted pork, pickled carrots, jalapenos and cilantro. It is yummy.

In Milwaukee, a Vietnamese sandwich has all those ingredients plus mayonnaise and bacon.

Which is probably what leads to the Milwaukee roll:

Photobucket

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Photobucket

3 comments:

MrScribbler said...

I'd think it's them "Has Browns" that pack on the poundage!

But what do I know? I'm jonesing for a brat and beer....

Anonymous said...

My mother still does not 'get it' that Wisconsin is the only place with a 'Friday Fish Fry' on every corner...even though I've not lived in Wisconsin for 24 years, she still asks me every week if we are going out for fish on Friday night...it's totally a cultural thing!!! White-Chocolate

AndiMAC said...

I still crave macaroni and cheese on a stick... I never did get to have it when I was there. :-(