Thursday, March 05, 2009

Bible trivia

In addition to my usual sacrifice of no sugar or dessert or talking mean about people for Lent, I am trying to read the Bible every day. I have some observations and questions.

Let's start with The Book of Ruth. I've always liked this story, mostly because I think Naomi is such a beautiful name. But here's my question. When Naomi tells Ruth,

And it shall be, when he lieth down, that thou shalt mark the place where he shall lie, and thou shalt go in, and uncover his feet, and lay thee down; and he will tell thee what thou shalt do.

What is going on here? What is Ruth supposed to do? I did a little googling and apparently, Ruth is supposed to get busy with Boaz? Was this customary? Were widows supposed to seduce relatives so they would buy their land and marry them? This is better than a Rosemary Rodgers novel.

Photobucket
Almost a biblical scene, huh? But it's not. It's a photo from my first trip to Morocco with SH in February 2006. You would be able to see more, but journalspace.com killed four years of my blogging. I'm not bitter. Really. I'm not.

The First Book of the Kings

They cover all the issues in the Bible: sex, relatives, gossip, people ticking off God, and Wisconsin. I can relate to just about everything I read. Look at this passage:

Now King David was old and advanced in years; and although they covered him with clothes, he could not get warm.

Does God know how to speak to me or what?

The Lamentations of Jeremiah
This book seems to be about Israel ticking off God in a major way. I mean, there is no doubt He is mad. Look what happened:

The hands of tenderhearted women cooked their own children, who became their food, when my people were destroyed.

The First Letter of Paul to Timothy
And then we're on to the New Testament, which gives us some good advice -- last names have made life so much easier:

nor to occupy themselves with myths and interminable genealogies. Such things promote useless speculations rather than God’s redemptive plan that operates by faith.

Can you imagine having to go through this every time you introduced someone?

This is the record of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham. Abraham was the father of Isaac, Isaac the father of Jacob, Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers, Judah the father of Perez and Zerah (by Tamar), Perez the father of Hezron, Hezron the father of Ram, Ram the father of Amminadab, Amminadab the father of Nahshon, Nahshon the father of Salmon, Salmon the father of Boaz (by Rahab), Boaz the father of Obed (by Ruth), Obed the father of Jesse, and Jesse the father of David the king.

.... and skip two paragraphs

So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations, and from David to the deportation to Babylon, fourteen generations, and from the deportation to Babylon to Christ, fourteen generations.

No comments: