Thursday, March 26, 2009

Marriage 101, Lecture 109: Women's work

SH: You'll really polish my shoes?

Me: Sure. Why not?

SH: In my house, that was always my dad's job.

Photobucket
Market in Peru.

Me: Funny. At my house, that was always my job.

SH: But that's men's work.

Me: There was no such thing as men's work or women's work at our house.

SH: Well, it was never specifically said, but it was just understood.

Me: Nope. The chores were rotated at our house. We took turns doing dishes, mowing the grass, taking out the trash, cleaning the bathroom.

Photobucket
Northern Chile.

SH: Not at our house.

Me: Isn't it funny that the intellectual, enlightened, superior liberals were the ones who had the men's and women's work and the backwards religious rigid military conservatives were the ones who had non-gendered work?

Photobucket
Market in southern Chile. Chiloe, I think.

No comments: