Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Marriage 101, Lecture 25: The importance of being correct

Me: Let's not have that argument again.

SH: But you understand why I wanted you to do it my way.

Photobucket
Photos from our trip to Spain last fall. Photos lost in the great blog tragedy of '08. Here we see a nun in the Ham Museum in Madrid.

Me: Yes, and that's why I agreed to do it your way. (Even though I think you over-reacted that day.)

SH: What's that?

Me: Nothing.

SH: Don't you agree that I was right?

Photobucket
A painter in the Plaza del Sol in Madrid.

Me: No, but we're doing it your way. Isn't that enough?

SH: What do you mean?

Me: I mean, I let you win. We're doing it your way. You got what you wanted. Let's drop it.

SH: No!

Me: What do you mean, "no?"

SH: I mean, I don't want you to "let" me win. I want you to be convinced by the superiority of my argument.

Me: I don't think your argument is superior. Why does it matter if you get what you want? I let you win. You get what you want. That's all that should matter.

SH: But it's not all that matters. I want to win for the right reasons.

Photobucket
Segovia rooftops.

2 comments:

Marta said...

It's just like a movie!

And the argument ends as we pan over the rooftops of Segovia...

=D

John0 Juanderlust said...

Makes sense to me, I think. Shows his sense of fairplay, no satisfaction in a hollow victory.