Friday, March 27, 2009

Today, we are all libertarians

Legalize them all. Pot. Cocaine. Heroin. Meth. Especially meth. I will tell you why especially meth in a second.

Legalize drugs. Why should smokers and drinkers pay all the taxes? Let's tax the junkies and the potheads and the methheads (is that a word? spellcheck doesn't think so) and make them pay their Fair Share. No representation without taxation is what I say.

No, politicians, you don't get to start more programs with this money. You just get to fund the ones that are already there. My taxes get to go down as a result. My non-smoking, non-drinking, non-junkie taxes. I am tired of addicts getting services off my taxes. Let them pay their own way.

Let them ruin their lives without taking other people down with them. If they're over 18 and want to drug themselves to death, let them look their families in the eye and say, "I care about drugs more than I care about you," sign over their parental rights so someone who actually loves children can adopt their kids and give them a decent home, then move to some empty, barren area in a place to be defined (I hesitate to say someplace like "the Oklahoma panhandle" or "southern Nevada" for fear people will yell, "That place is a paradise! You have no idea!" even though those places seem pretty deserted and wastelandish to me) and then shoot up cheap drugs with their addict friends without prostituting themselves or breaking into our cars to steal our money to fund their habits. The tax revenue from the casual users and the savings from not having to enforce drug laws and the reduction in drug-related crime would probably more than fund paying for the hard-core users who would go to drug camp.

Meth. Legalize meth so that when I realize at 10 p.m. that I have a cold and am not going to be able to sleep because I am congested, I can have a stockpile of sudafed in my medicine box like I used to. Now, I have the cheap imitation that stops working after a few hours, which means I have to sit up from 2 a.m. to 5 a.m. so I can breathe, until it occurs to me to take another dose of the cheap imitation. Hey. Are you thinking clearly at 2 a.m. when you can't breathe?

Can I get sudafed in Wisconsin? If I had to show ID and get it from behind the counter, two packs at a time, and sign for it in Tennessee, where it is legal to put yard waste in the trash and to park on your own street overnight, I can't imagine the State of Wisconsin, which protects me from low drug prices with a minimum drug price markup law, because everyone knows that consumers hate the tyranny of saving money, I can't imagine it being any easier here. I probably have to get a prescription for it in Wisconsin.

4 comments:

Richard in NY said...

While I'm not surprised, I have never heard of a minimum markup law on medications. Does that mean that you can't get a months supply of generic drugs at Walmart for $4, or at the chains that matched that deal? How about mail order pharmacies?

I'm glad we sold the house in Whitefish Bay now.

regards,

class-factotum said...

Richard, that is exactly what it means. No $4 generics at Walmart or Target. Thank goodness for that! Aren't we better off?

John0 Juanderlust said...

Now you're talking my language, even if only facetiously.
Goes to show, good people(Wisconsin) can make dumb rules. Limit the scope of what the rules can cover and there is hope. Maybe even change.

Anonymous said...

The real problem here is that Pfizer has a patented alternative to pseudoephedrine--used in Sudafed, etc., and reformulable into meth--but will not develop it without us taxpayers picking up the R&D.

http://www.oregonlive.com/special/oregonian/meth/pdfs/1006meth_patent.pdf

Thus Big Pharma holds everyone hostage. They want their costs socialized and their profits privatized. So what if it wrecks our lives here in the PNW through the meth epidemic, and wrecks the lives of people who just need a few boxes of strong Sudafed to get through the night with their head cold?