Monday, April 20, 2009

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, part 3

I didn't get a photo of this, although there certainly was enough time. I watched Shirley in stupefied amazement for over a minute as she scraped the litter box.

I mean that literally. Instead of scraping the kitty litter, she stood on the edges of the box and scraped the box. Because maybe if she scrapes at it long enough, the edges will fall down and cover the litter. Or whatever.

No wonder every time Laverne hears a noise*, she runs to investigate. Someone has to be responsible for the dumb cat.

* "What if Shirley needs me?"

4 comments:

John0 Juanderlust said...

Sometimes you have teach cats these things. I had a cat that had a number of issues with the box. I had to hold his paws and show him, over and over. Finally he at least confined the deposit and the litter moving mostly inside the box.
Before, he stood in the box, hung over the edge, pooped on the floor then turned around and tossed litter over another side. He was not quite normal.
But he was trainable.

Anonymous Mother said...

John, I had a good laugh over your description! ;~)

MeanMommyDoc said...

Lilah does that scraping thing all the time.

Shawna said...

I know this is an ancient post, but I feel compelled to respond. Maybe you get e-mail notifications...

Anyway, I had a cat that was dumb about the litter box. D-U-M DUMB.

She would do a VERY stinky thing in the box, turn around, sniff it, and recoil with horror at the smell. Then proceed to scratch the sides of the box, the edges of the box, the wall and/or floor near the box, and basically anywhere except near the actual offending smell. Then she'd turn back around, smell, and recoil in horror. This process would repeat a few more times until she gave up in resignation. Or maybe her sense of smell had dulled and she figured she was done?

Anyway, she passed away a few years ago. My only litter box issue is with a different cat who can not (or will not? is there a difference with cats?) crouch/squat to pee. So it comes out horizontally from some height. A higher height than most cat boxes, so I use large rubbermaid storage containers for cat boxes. Stuff gets stuck in the corners due the bottoms/sides not being 100% flat, but at least the stuff stays inside.