Friday, April 17, 2009

For want of a nail

Photobucket
This hoe doesn't work very well. I shove the blade back into the handle and can get about five chops before it gets loose. I have had this problem for years.

Photobucket
So I decided to do something about it. Something besides buy a new hoe, because I am of the Tribe of We Who Do Not Waste and I got this hoe at a junk shop seven years ago for $5 and I still have not got my money's worth from it. I was going to drill a hole through the handle and then screw the blade in. But -- no bolts (of the right size). Just screws.

Photobucket
No problem. I'll just take a shortcut. After all, what I really need is a piece of metal to hold the blade in. A nail will work just as well. I can even skip the drilling, although it is fun to use my Ryobi cordless drill, which has served me so well in the past. I have to admit, though, that I have come to prefer SH's corded drill because it has more power. But it is a pain in the neck to secure the bits and this was a short job. Anyhow, I thought I would just hammer the nail in, but guess what? The wood split.

Photobucket
Back to plan A. Works just fine.

Photobucket
I drilled a hole, then inserted a nail and hammered the end of the nail down. Who needs a bolt when you have ingenuity?

Photobucket
Except the wood was still bad and guess what? On the first stroke, the wood split.

Photobucket
So I am going to have to use other tools instead to finish digging up the vegetable garden or buy a new hoe. Or handle. Do they sell stand-alone handles?

3 comments:

Anonymous Mother said...

Yes, you can get just a handle. I had one for a long time and then used it on a rake. Don't remember where I got it though...

John0 Juanderlust said...

Get a machete, the universal yard tool. It is edger, hoe, tiller, lawn mower, and plow, all in one handy unit.
juan

LPC said...

I think you should get a handle. You have now mastered the zen of attaching handles to hoes and zen should never be wasted.