Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Marriage 101, Lecture 237: The devil is in the details, or, Take another little piece of my heart

Me: The postage is $1.34, so I'll just put on four stamps.

SH: I have some smaller stamps upstairs.

Photobucket
The Engineer gets it exactly right.

Me: Whatever.

SH: OK. Let me figure this out.

Me: Wouldn't it be easier just to use the four stamps?

SH: No! Don't rush me. I want the perfect solution.

Me: What stamps do you have?

SH: Well, I already put on a 42-cent stamp, so now I need to figure out the rest.

Me: Don't you have a presentation to give in an hour? And your flight is at 4? Is this really the best use of your time*?

SH: Yes.

* This is the man who stayed up until 6:30 a.m. on Monday working and then got four hours of sleep.

7 comments:

AKJ said...

Or just eFile

class-factotum said...

Anita, we efiled the federal taxes, but Wisconsin won't take an efile if you are only a part-year resident. I don't know why. Jerks.

TosaGuy said...

If Mr. Engineer takes 1 minute to figure out how to save 34 cents, then his free time is worth $20.40 an hour.

LPC said...

Oh yes. Engineers. They call this optimization in software land. My guess is that's what they call it everywhere. Instead of the host of other names that could be used...

class-factotum said...

Tosa Guy, if it were my free time, you couldn't buy it for just $20/hour, especially if my work time were worth a lot more than that, which it was when I was working.

LPC, my husband is an engineer through and through!

TosaGuy said...

Most people's free time is worth way more than $20 bucks an hour.

My clients are engineers. The details I have to unwrap from them before we get to what really needs to be done.

class-factotum said...

My husband and I make a good team. I am the big-picture, project manager, ideas person. He is the detail guy. We drive each other crazy sometimes, but between the two us, things run pretty well.

And he gives a mean pedicure. Being very detail-oriented comes in handy.