Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Marriage 101, Lecture 383: Election day in a mixed marriage

My Serious Honey and I disagree on more things than just what is an appropriate bedtime, if it counts as dessert if there is no chocolate, and what constitutes a reasonable use of our movie-watching time. We also disagree on politics and religion. Why are we together then you ask? His parents will tell you it's because I am a gold digger and yep, you see me here dripping with gems and expensive shoes, ordering the help around while I eat bon-bons and watch soap operas.

Nah. It's because he's a hottie, even if he is not Right on most things.

Photobucket
Kids in Chile.

This is how the conversation went this morning:

SH: Today is election day.

Me: Yep.

SH: I mean -- it's next week. Don't vote today. The polls aren't open.

Photobucket
Mapuche farmer taking his pig for a walk.

Me: Ha.

SH: Are you going to see reason and vote for my candidates?

Me: Do I look like I had a lobotomy last night?

Photobucket
Mapuche woman with her sheep. I worked with a co-op of about 140 women who spun yarn, then wove and sold their traditional rugs and blankets at a little store. My job was to make the store profitable, even though we were charging above-market prices and the four women who worked for the co-op were paid from a grant, so they got their paychecks whether the store was profitable or not. This is not a good strategy for getting people to make the hard decisions -- if they get paid no matter what. You know -- like elected officials.

No comments: