Thursday, May 07, 2009

Marriage 101, Lecture 125: Picking up at the airport

SH: You didn't want to pick me up. You wanted me to take a taxi!

Me: That's right. It's 11:30 at night. I wanted to be in bed. Besides, you can expense it.

Photobucket
The bottle tree at the house down the street from my house in Memphis. Yes, I know this is random, but I don't have anything to post that is relevant to picking someone up from the airport late at night. And I think bottle trees are cool. I have not seen any up here. I suspect they are a strictly Southern thing. If I were to return to school*, it would be to study history, poli sci and American studies.** My friend Aimee has a master's degree in American Studies with a concentration on Southern Studies. She probably knows about bottle trees.

SH: I would never ask you to take a taxi.

Me: You would never have to.

SH: It's not my fault they put me on an earlier flight and everything got pushed up.

Me: Oh please. Like you had to wait until 3:00 in the afternoon to take your shower? That, you could have controlled.

SH: Everything was going just fine until they changed my flight.

Me: Uh-huh.

* What was I thinking, finishing college a semester early just to save money? How dumb was that? I saved about $2,000 in tuition. That's it. I was living rent-free in the Weingarten's garage apartment -- yes, those Weingartens, for those of you in Houston -- they were the nicest, most generous people -- and working at the faculty club, where I ate free, so had no expenses other than books, phone, gas to and from campus and car insurance. WHAT WAS I THINKING? Two thousand dollars is nothing! But it would have increased my student loan debt by almost 15%, which already seemed insurmountable. I wish I could return to my 20-year-old self and slap her.

** And to re-take calculus and not get a 'D.' I did get a 'B+' in differential equations before I changed my major to English, so I know I am not a complete math moron.

4 comments:

LPC said...

But what is the bottle tree for?

class-factotum said...

LPC, I lived in Tennessee for eight years and I never figured that out.

Anonymous said...

Must be a Memphis thing...I've lived in Montgomery for 13 years & Jax for 9 years & have never seen a bottle tree...I would thing that would be a big hit in Wis. in the winter, against the snowy contrast...White Chocolate

class-factotum said...

I think they have something to do with evil spirits.