Sunday, May 10, 2009

Not that I'm competitive or anything

I went to the Lutheran book club meeting/potuck (not to be confused with the neighborhood ladies book club) the other night and the food was really good, although what's up with Lutherans that there is almost never any chocolate at their shindigs? I asked my friend Rob about that last night. He should know -- he's Swedish and therefore should be to the bone Lutheran, right?

New Orleans
More New Orleans photos from our trip last year. It was warm there. It's not warm here today. I wish it were warm here today.

But he claimed to be Methodist, maybe from his mother's English side, but then wondered the same thing, thinking don't Lutherans suffer enough already with lutefisk? Perhaps chocolate is too indulgent, too Catholic. Lutherans are austere, you know. None of this popery. They get straight to the point. They don't sing their prayers, they don't hold hands during the Our Father, they are efficient. In and out. That's a Lutheran service.*

Anyhow, I took a variation of this recipe, of which three versions can be found in my grandma's Catholic church cookbook, to the book club potluck because I wanted to be sure there was some chocolate dessert and sure enough, mine was the only chocolate and the only gooey dessert. I had thought everyone would roll their eyes and groan (in their minds of course: Lutherans would never be rude to your face), "Oh for pity's sake** it's that same old thing again," but nobody had ever had it before. Nobody! They all asked me what it was and I was all, "But this is Wisconsin! This is the total cliche' church potluck dessert! What do you mean you don't know what this is?"

Photobucket
Looking on Jackson Square from the museum.

And they were all, "Yah for sure this sure is good."

Which it was. And I knew they weren't just saying that to be nice, because people really don't do that much around here. They just ate almost all of it. More of it than they ate of the other desserts, which were good -- rhubarb bars***, cherry cheesecake, and two kinds of coffeecake -- but just not as good as mine.

Photobucket
Somewhere in the Quarter.

* I like Lutheran services. So sue me. And yes, I see the contradiction in the austerity/efficiency thing. There is no suffering in a quick service with minimal music, especially if that music is not Marty Haugen/Gather Hymnal music.

** "Oh for pity's sake" is the northern version of "Lord have mercy."

*** It is illegal to have a Lutheran or Catholic event in the spring or summer without a rhubarb dessert.

Photobucket
Working girls on Bourbon Street.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's break down the expression 'for pity sake' even more...it's equal to the Southern expression 'Bless your heart...' which is really the translation for 'Bless your darling heart and stupid head...' 'Bless her heart but...' also opens the door wide open for 'legal gossip' in the South...White Chocolate

class-factotum said...

Thanks, cuz. I haven't been here long enough to learn the nuances.