Friday, May 29, 2009

Peoples' Republic of Wauwatosa Part 774

My friend Todd the Fabulous Realtor who found us the great house told me this but I didn't believe him.

Remember how I said that it's illegal to park overnight on the public roads paid for by taxpayer money in our town?

Well, you can call the police to get permission to park on the taxpayer-funded roads.

Yes. That's right. You can get permission. To park on a public road.

But you have to call a 900 number. That costs $1.50 per call. And you have to call the number each time you want to park.

We are sooooo moving to Texas as soon as I can convince SH.

UPDATE:

To add insult to injury, the finance committee of State of Wisconsin, which has been turning its pockets inside out, looking for money but finding only lint, stayed in session until 5:30 a.m. this morning because they couldn't meet today when people (ie, those of us who pay for all this stuff) might actually be watching because there was hello! a golf game, people! in Lake Geneva! which also happens to be a Democratic fundraiser not that I am pointing fingers or anything and passed measures finding $$$$ for a firing range, an opera house, and the basketball arena in Milwaukee, which I didn't realize was a taxpayer-funded operation because Lord knows pro ball couldn't make it without taxpayer help, proposed higher taxes on cigarettes and rich people, and had the great idea to give driver's licenses to illegal aliens because you know, that will improve public safety and all.

We are really moving to Texas. Hook 'em.

8 comments:

LPC said...

It's illegal in my Northern California suburb too. I'm like, what, having a bunch of Toyota hybrids parked on the street will make the neighborhood look like it's been overrun by scrubs? And I don't think there's anyone here we can pay off.

class-factotum said...

LPC, do those TOYOTAS all have bumper stickers telling you to "Buy local?"

LPC said...

Oh goodness no. They all say things like "Free Tibet", "My Other Car Is A Unicorn..." We are REAL hippies, not those ersatz johnny-come-latelies.

Elizabeth said...

Lerd, I think it's a Chicago region thing: I've never heard of anything like it anywhere else in Wisconsin, but all the suburbs surrounding Milwaukee and Chicago have that rule.

AKJ said...

Hook 'em Horns. Grant will be in Austin in August - you could rent the upper bunk from him.

SH said...

I don't particularly care for the parking restrictions either, but I am not moving to Texas anytime soon. I thought it was supposed to be an idea for our retirement! (But if you can find us $2 million, sweetie, I'll move to Texas right away.)

class-factotum said...

Elizabeth, it wouldn't be so bad if it were just on snow days, but it's all the time.

Anita, we are looking for a winter home in the south, but I am past college living. Thanks anyhow.

TosaGuy said...

If you call the police switchboard, you can do the overnight park without the $1.50 fee. 471-8430

I just spent a week in North Dakota. It is a better place than Wisconsin.