Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Marriage 101, Lecture 138: What's mine is mine and what's yours is yours

SH: Were you wearing my Rice sweatshirt?

Me: Yes.

SH: But that's my special sweatshirt!

Me: I went there, too.

SH: But it's my Good Sweatshirt.*

Me: I didn't know. It was hanging in the laundry room and I was cold and I didn't want to go into the bedroom while you were sleeping to get the other one.

SH: Well, don't do it again.

Me: Why is it so special?

SH: Because it's one of the few decent sweatshirts they've ever had in the bookstore. Most Rice t-shirts and sweatshirts are crap. [This is completely true, by the way. Yes, I know it's mainly an engineering school, but there are enough architecture and art majors that surely somebody could come up with a decent sweatshirt design. Must I wear an Aggie shirt just to have an attractive graphic? Must I be reduced to that?]

Me: OK, OK. Whatever. Fine. I won't touch it again.

* See "The Good Salt."

6 comments:

AKJ said...

Anything but an Aggie shirt. ICK!!

LPC said...

Rice? I love Rice U. I was secretly hoping my son would go there.

class-factotum said...

LPC -- yes, we went to Rice in Houston. We didn't know each other while we were there, but met at our 20-year reunion. I LOVED college. LOVED LOVED LOVED it.

Grad school? Not so much. The University of Texas is so big and this was grad school, so not the same intellectual experience. But Rice was fabulous.

LPC said...

You met at your reunion? Cute. Very cute. Adorable even. Serious, no sarcasm at all. Life is too short for sarcasm about love.

class-factotum said...

LPC, I wonder what might have happened if we had met in college, but I don't think we would have liked each other. He was a smart-aleck heavy drinker and I was too busy with working and my college boyfriend. He would have annoyed the heck out of me. So maybe this is how it was all supposed to work out.

Anonymous Mother said...

He wasn't OLD ENOUGH to drink!!!