Friday, June 26, 2009

Question for parents

I was at the park with my friend Michelle (The Cool Girl From The Gym) and her two kids this afternoon and we saw this little girl, maybe a year, fall. She was crying and nobody ran to get her, so my old lifeguard instincts kicked in and I went over to pick her up. She was upset enough that she let a stranger take her. I was holding her walking around looking for her mom, thinking it was odd that a one-year-old would be unsupervised like this.

Finally, a man who had been sitting there the whole time came forward, reached for her and said, "She's fine."

I handed her to him and thought it a little odd that her father (I'm assuming that's who he was) had watched her cry and had done nothing. I thought it even odder that he had watched a stranger take his child and not spoken out. Maybe he thought he was toughening her up by letting her cry, but does a one-year-old who is crying because she has fallen need to be ignored by her own father?

5 comments:

LPC said...

Uh...no.

Maureen at IslandRoar said...

WTF? I think that's soo sad.
Good for you!

the Preppy Princess said...

Ooooh, this one is so not good, what was he thinking? I'm glad you were there. Yikes.
tp

John0 Juanderlust said...

Hopefully he was in some way the legitimate guardian.
It is better than being hit at that age if you cry. Something very odd about that scene. Creepy.

Elizabeth said...

Messed. Up. I mean, not running over in hysterics, fine, but... that is one messed up sounding situation.