Monday, July 13, 2009

Marriage 101, Lecture 582: Jealousy

As we are watching "Revolutionary Road," a movie like "The Hours" in that it shows suburban life as horrible, awful, souless, where the non-artists go to die and you! hey you watching the movie! your life stinks too because you're just one of those suburban drones and don't you wish you were ACTING! instead because then your life would have meaning and the only way out of this horrible awful life where you have kids and a nice house and a job is death.

I had to watch this movie to get SH to watch "Defiance." That's how it works in this house. One Kate Winslet, whom I don't mind but gah Leo DiCaprio annoys me, even though he is an excellent actor but he still looks 12 years old for one Daniel "there is no Bond but Daniel" Craig.

Anyhow. Kate has just said she doesn't care with whom Leo sleeps and he is upset that she doesn't care.

Me: I care who you sleep with.

SH: I know.

Me: It's OK for you to go out and sing without me, but that's not the same as sleeping with someone else.

SH: I know that.

Me: Does it bother you that I don't mind that you go out without me?

SH: No, but what about Stephanie [the roller derby girl] wanting me to meet her so we can sing together?

Me: That's OK.

SH: She's really hot.

Me: I know.

SH: You're not jealous?

Me: Are you kidding? I think she is gorgeous. She has a fabulous figure. And if you think she's gorgeous, well, you're married to me.

SH: She's just the kind I like -- she's thick.

Me: When you say that, you don't mean "thick" like "cankles" and stumpy legs, do you?

SH: No! She's not thin!

Me: No, she's got padding in all the right places.

SH: I know. She hugged me. But she hugged you, too.

Me: Yep. She felt pretty good.

SH: If she had hugged only me and ignored you, how would you feel about my meeting her to sing?

Me: That would be a No.

4 comments:

Maureen at IslandRoar said...

That was a depressing movie. But I loved Defiance.
I think it would be a little hard not to be jealous of him going out to sing with someone who is "padded in all the right places."
But then, I have nobody right now, so that's how much I know.

HRD said...

That dialogue tickled me. I'm sure its the sort of thing that goes on in houses across the world on a daily basis.

Although if I described anyone as being "padded in all the right places", I would expect to look like a panda shortly afterwards!

TosaGuy said...

how is Defiance the movie? I have read the book and have a signed copy. The author gave a presentation at Marquette a number of years ago. She is a fascinating person.

class-factotum said...

Maureen, I am envious of her figure and even more envious of her voice. But I suppose I don't have the right to be jealous of his going out to sing if I do not wish to accompany him. Not that I wouldn't be happy to hear him sing -- it's that I don't want to have to 1) go to a bar and 2) stay up late to do it.

HRD, are you an "eyes only" man?

TG, we watched the first half of Defiance last night. It is very good so far. I didn't realize it was also a book. I will have to read it.