Friday, July 31, 2009

My friends crack me up


Remember when I wrote this on my friend Marta's blog? (I was explaining how to make spinach salad with hot bacon dressing.)

Wash it over and over because it gets really dirty in the garden. Then you let it dry or not, as to your taste. If you have a salad spinner, use that to dry the leaves. If you happened to wrench the salad spinner from your husband’s hands last summer and throw it in the Goodwill basket because not once in the three years since you had met had you guys used said salad spinner, you will just toss the spinach in the colander. Your husband will use the untimely giveaway of the spinner as proof that nothing should ever be thrown away, including the phone bills from the house he owned with his ex wife ten years ago and the tuition receipts for his stepdaughter, who has been out of college since 1998.

Photobucket
Kim's feet are on the right. She has very elegant toes. Mine are chubby and uncooperative.

I got this in the mail today from Kim my San Francisco pedicure friend who was here last weekend with her husband Luke my friend from grad school. Perhaps Kim thought there was a better way to dry lettuce than to spread it out on a towel on the counter and wait three hours. She might have saved my marriage (how much "I told you so" can a marriage take?) and has given me the right to throw things away again.

5 comments:

Marta said...

I too am guilty of ignoring the salad spinner in my cupboard.

But I actually thought of it in order to make your fabulous spinach salad.

This means something. I just don't know what...

LPC said...

Salad spinners can be your friend. I despite specialized appliances, as a general rule, but I prize my salad spinner. Perhaps that's because I'm in California, where we treat lettuce with the same reverence as you appear to treat bread rolls...

SH said...

> [Kim] has given me the right
> to throw things away again.

Not exactly. After this experience, you have the right to throw something away (or give it to Goodwill) only if you're pretty sure that someone else will pay to replace the item after we discover that we could have used it after all!

SH said...

Sweetie, weren't you an English major? That sentence beginning with "I got this in the mail today" needs a whole bunch of commas (or parentheses) added to it, or it needs to be restructured in some other way.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps SH would be happy with this version which has an inappropriate extravagance of commas and parentheses.

"My San Francisco pedicure friend was here last weekend with her husband, Luke, my friend (from grad school). Imagine my surprise when I found Kim had sent me this, in today's mail!"