Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Wednesday report

Just walking around with my camera on the way to have coffee with a new friend, go to the library and pick up my bike from the bike shop (Part B of my plan to develop hobbies with SH that are hobbies besides eating and watching movies, which is our main hobby).

Photobucket
This is rhubarb. I didn't see it walking around, I saw it in Sendik's. I took the photo in preparation for the post I am going to do as guest chef on Marta's Cuban-American Kitchen in a few weeks. No, there is nothing Cuban about rhubarb. I am going to make a typical Wisconsin meal, probably bratwurst, German potato salad, salad with lettuce from my garden (below) and rhubarb bars, and blog about it when our friends Luke and his new bride SFGirl visit on their way to Iowa for her family reunion. That's what the "American" part of "Cuban-American" covers. If you have not tried any of Marta's recipes or bought her cookbook, do it now. Go ahead. I'll wait. Here's the link again.

Notice that the rhubarb is in a waxed box. That makes the box more resistant to humidity and water but it makes it very difficult to recycle. How do you make it so paper will resist water but then will fall apart in water? Scientists are working on this as we speak and I am not joking. How to recycle waxed boxes is a huge problem in the box industry.

Photobucket
This was my garden two weeks ago. I am too lazy to go outside and take another picture. Things have grown.

Photobucket
Then I got home and got my stuff and left for the walk. One of these days, I have got to get a Frito pie from this place. I love Frito pie. No, I do not know why a store called "Candyman" sells sausage and Frito pie.

Photobucket
My tax dollars at work. I have no complaints about how our village is run. The streets are plowed quickly, repairs seem to be done efficiently, the schools are good, and the library is excellent. Our tax dollars are not wasted at all it seems. On the state level, however. Oy gevalt. Jim Doyle, you have some 'splain' to do. First class tickets to Ireland? And you don't have to fill out expense reports like everyone else? You'd last two seconds in the private sector.

Photobucket
I just liked the colors here.

Photobucket
And here.

Photobucket
And here. Nothing else to report except the bike appears to be working just fine.

3 comments:

TosaGuy said...

Tosa mostly does a good job. Except its employee benefit costs are over 19K an employee and that figure is eating heavily into the the infrastructure budget. The city is in a $2 million budget shortfall, plus we the voters just gave them permission to borrow 14 million for the new firemans' clubhouse

Combined with the school district losing 11 percent of its state aid, look for a minimum 20 percent property tax hike this December.

TosaGuy said...

I have been meaning to try the Milwaukee Hot Dog Company....

BTW...we stomp the same grounds

class-factotum said...

Ouch! I hadn't looked at the budget. (I don't think there has been an election involving money or local representation since we moved in last June.)

I was not happy with the possibility that they might use federal money to put solar panels on the city building. It's still my money and it's still a stupid idea!

We need to have a secret handshake or signal in case we run across each other in public.