Friday, August 07, 2009

Marriage 101, Lecture 104: Sweet things, part two

As I scrape onions into the zucchini pancake batter, some of the onions drop onto the floor.

SH: Why are you throwing food onto the floor?

Me: You know, in 20 years, a question like that will force me to strangle you.

This photo is completely unrelated to this post, but isn't serrano ham always appropriate? And in keeping with the "pork" theme that started with the Arab festival.

SH: Why? Because it's annoying now and will get worse over time?

Me: Yep.

SH: My endearing qualities will overcome any annoyance.

Me: You better hope so.

3 comments:

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

I hope the endearing qualities win out. Strangling is such a nasty way to go.

John0 Juanderlust said...

Onions and zucchini in pancakes? Is that good?

class-factotum said...

Maureen, you are so right. And I am not strong enough to strangle SH. Even though I am the one who works out with weights, I still have to ask him to open jars, a fact he smugly waves in my face when I point out his sedentariness to him. I would have to garotte him and that requires the element of surprise, which is impossible because the stairs squeak. Or I'd have to shoot him -- but no gun! Drugs? I am not wasting my vicodin on a murder.

John, SH liked the pancakes ("I don't want another casserole! Make something else!") but I thought they needed some kick. They were good once I threw on the salsa that Luke and Kim brought us.

Zucchini Pancakes

4 -5 medium zucchini (1 1/2 lbs.)
3/4 tsp. salt
4 eggs
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 c. flour
1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 c. onion, minced
1/2 tsp. pepper
Sour cream to top
vegetable oil for frying
Coarsely shred the zucchini and toss with salt. Drain for 15 minutes pressing out all of the liquid. This step is very important.

Beat eggs and add garlic, flour, cheese, onion and pepper. The batter will be lumpy. Gently fold in zucchini just until combined.

Heat an electric skillet to 350 degrees or heat a frying pan on the stove to medium high heat. Add just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Place 1/4 c. batter in pan for each pancake. Fry on both sides until browned (2-3 minutes). Serve with sour cream.