Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Marriage 101, Lecture 108: Did someone say, "Deal?"

Me: What's that?

SH: I ordered movies from woot.com.

Me: Why?

SH: It was a good deal!

We pause as we both think about what a "good deal" is. To me, it's a Dooney and Burke purse at the Goodwill for $40, although had I been more on the ball and gone two days earlier for Half-Price Mondays, I could have gotten it for $20. It's raspberries at the bargain counter for 89 cents when they are usually $4.

To SH, however, a "good deal" is something that is advertised, that he can buy online and that will be delivered to our doorstep.

Me: What are the movies?

SH: Here's the list.

I look at the list. Classic movies and crap I don't want to see. No, I have no wish to pay for a Michael Moore screed. Other movies that I can probably get FREE from the library. Well, not free. We pay $5,000 a year in property taxes. So movies we have already paid for with our taxes.

Me: I could have gotten these from the library.

SH: But now we have them in case we want to watch a movie. We don't have to go to the library to get them.

Me: "We?" I'm the one who goes. All you have to do is say you want it!

SH: It was a good deal.

Me: It's not a good deal if you could have gotten it for free.

No comments: