Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Marriage 101, Lecture 463: I told you so

SH: Did you use the salad spinner?

Me: Yes.

SH: Did you like it?

I think about my answer before I speak. Do I want to admit he was right? What kind of precedent will this set? But I can't lie. Well, I can, but I don't. I have told SH that I will never lie to him. I might not volunteer information, but I will not lie.

So far, I have had to admit to forgetting to leaving my underwear to soak in the laundry room sink while I was doing laundry, which led to the sink overflowing because that's where the washing machine debouches and if the sink is plugged, the water will not drain, which led to water getting on the basement floor and setting off the Flood Frog that we finally set up by the basement drain after the second time the basement flooded. That made me look kind of dumb. And there have been other things that I have had to not lie about even though I looked like a moron but that's not important right now.

Me: Yes.

SH: I told you so!

My aunt Mary Ann told me that the problem with being right in a marriage is that the times when it's really appropriate to say, "I told you so!" it's not a good idea. Usually, it's better just to keep your mouth shut.

Me: Is that really how you want to use your "I told you so?"

3 comments:

LPC said...

OK. But since you and I are not married, can I say I told you so?

John0 Juanderlust said...

Classic. Definitely save this one for the book.

class-factotum said...

LPC -- for now. But if we become friends, you can't. Although I would completely expect you to tell me that that dress looks really bad on me.

John, into the book it goes, along with all the stories about the wedding drama. And all that.