Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Marriage 101, Lecture 789: The great beyond

SH: But if we had stayed in your house in Memphis, there would have been no place for the TV.

Me: I don't care. I don't need to have a TV.

SH: Look how many vegetables I am having: salad, spinach, squash casserole. And I had cantaloupe and zucchini bread before. I deserve some custard. Me: And a beer.

SH: You like watching movies on ours.

I think about how I have gotten my money's worth from our property taxes with all the movies we have gotten from the library in the past year. Maybe two movies a week, @ $5 a movie, which is about $500, but then throw in the books @$20/book and you get to $5,000 right quick. We are now working on amortizing the TV itself, which SH (the borderline agnostic but fortunately not hostile atheist) bought after a Sign From God. God works in mysterious ways, even for those who aren't sure they believe.

Me: If I have to have a TV, I like the one we have. But if you go down in a plane crash, after I get rid of the cats and throw away all your crap in the basement, I am canceling the cable.

SH: I thought you loved the cats!

The cats also had chocolate chocolate-chip zucchini bread.

Me: They still shed and I am tired of cleaning up after them.

SH: But I thought Laverne was your sweetie.

Me: Maybe I'd get rid of the cats second.

Another hunter, although not of chocolate chocolate-chip zucchini bread. This is my mom's cousin.

5 comments:

Michele said...

When we lived up north I use to contend that our TV was a source of heat. Now, that we are down south that theory does hold but I'll never convince my husband to get rid of it.

Yay! for the library and I'm not just saying that because I'm a librarian.

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving comments. I love to see and visit new blog buddies.

Anonymous said...

So, let me get this straight. If up to CF, you'd rather not use/need a TV. However, taxes are high, and by golly, CF wants to stick it to the man to get some value back for high taxes, so you invest 5-10 hours of your time to watch movies, because somehow this saves you money on your taxes? What value do you place on your time? If taxes weren't so high, you wouldn't waste your time to watch movies?

I'm really confused here.

Another engineer.

class-factotum said...

Michele, thanks for coming here. Libraries rock!

Anon, No, I do not watch movies to save money on my taxes. Is there a way to do that?

I watch the free movies to save money on renting movies and get value for my tax dollar (as putting yard waste in my trash or parking in front of my own house is not an option because those are ILLEGAL). If I didn't have a TV, I certainly would not watch movies. But I would still get library books.

Anonymous said...

Well, I was going to suggest that you could save a LOT of money by merely getting more movies from the library and NOT spending the time to actually watch them.

The more movies you check out of the libary, the quicker you pay off that TV, watching them or not :-)

Another Engineer

class-factotum said...

Anon, we do end up with a lot of unwatched movies. At this rate, the TV will be covered by the end of the year. :)