Tuesday, September 22, 2009

All about moi

Both Juanderlust, the artist formerly known as Harpo, and BethanyC have tagged me for this thingy. They each said really nice things about me that made me blush. Yes. I am capable of blushing and even of shame.

I have been reading Bethany's blog since we were both journalspace babes years ago -- long before journalspace LOST FOUR YEARS OF BLOGGING but we're not bitter. Fortunately, Bethany had already met fellow journalspace blogger Fin and had time to agree to marry him before the LFYOB.

I love Bethany's photos of her traipses through Nature. All the good parts of hiking and canoeing without any of the work or mosquitoes or lack of proper toilet facilities. And she has a very cute cat, Milton. It is also through Bethany that I met Holly, who has become an in-person friend.

Juanderlust is my former sweetie. I dated him before I met SH. OK, there was Gomez, the Moroccan guy who came in between Juanderlust and SH who turned out to be a little bit odd but he was filthy rich with not one but two Jaguars (the car, not the cat) and what can I say? It was exotic and I let my head be turned by glitter. We will get to the Gomez series on my Best of CF blog before too long. But Juanderlust is still a friend and my family still asks about him with fondness.

Back to the tag. I am supposed to list seven things I like to do by myself. I am also supposed to pass this award on to other bloggers, but honestly, there are so many blogs I enjoy that it is hard to pick just a few. Read anyone on my sidebar -- those are all friends -- or anyone who comments here. All worth reading.

My seven solo satisfiers:

1. I prefer to exercise alone. Mostly because this is when I listen to my right-wing bitter clinger radio, which SH does not want to hear because if he listens to Rush, his dad will accuse him of being stupid because only a stupid person would listen to that and SH's dad is right on everything. I also prefer to exercise alone because I am lazy and running with other people means I can't stop and amble whenever I feel like it. The pressure is too great. I am too competitive. When SH and I first met, he wanted to go running with me, but even though his exercise consists solely of walking down to the basement to get the Pringles he has hidden from himself, he can outrun me.

2. I prefer to wash and put away the dishes alone. I don't see a problem with putting away a plate that still has water on it, but SH freaks out and I don't need the drama. I've been putting dishes away like that for 25 years and have yet to see mold growing in my cabinets. It's OK, sweetie. They dry even in the cupboard.

3. I don't mind watching movies alone, although it's usually more fun with SH, even though he made me go to the new Quentin Tarantino movie on Sunday and I have to say that his work is just not to my taste. I accept violence as a part of war, but I don't want to see it. Does that make me a hypocrite? Oh well. When we watch movies at home, I try to give SH a three-minute head start with the remote so he can go through every single setup option and make sure he has optimized everything because heaven forbid we have inferior TV speaker sound instead of stereo sound.

4. I don't mind flying alone because it's one of the only times when I don't feel guilty for reading for three straight hours. If I am at home, there are always chores to be done. Plus SH works so hard and so many long hours I feel like I should be doing work, too, instead of sitting on the bed reading the new Pat Conroy novel.

5. I blog alone and I make up stuff about SH. If he is looking over my shoulder, he nags me about being accurate. Engineers.

6. After so many years of spinsterhood, it is a little difficult to get used to sharing a bed with someone. I sleep better when SH is not in bed with me but he still needs to be in the house. If he is out of town, I have a hard time sleeping, which I do not get at all because I was alone for over 20 years of my adult life.

7. I shower alone. I used to think it was sexy to shower with someone else, but now I just see SH as someone taking up the hot water while I shiver in the corner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"2. I prefer to wash and put away the dishes alone. I don't see a problem with putting away a plate that still has water on it, but SH freaks out and I don't need the drama. I've been putting dishes away like that for 25 years and have yet to see mold growing in my cabinets. It's OK, sweetie. They dry even in the cupboard."

I don't think they're related, but they have identical concerns.

DH gets upset when the kids or I put away damp Tupperware.

WE LIVE IN THE DESERT.

Sneezie