Thursday, September 10, 2009

Germany 4: Nicht sprechen Deutsch

Yes, this photo was taken at 10:45 a.m. Why do you ask?

When I was in Rome with my friend Lenore, who is Italian and Polish, Italians kept coming up to us and speaking to her in Italian. Which she does not speak. But she has a lovely Italian face and the Italians thought she was one of them.

The Germans must think I am one of them, although I am only part German. I guess I don't look as Norwegian as I would like. Several of them approached me today and started chattering away in German. When I answered apologetically that I don't speak German (although I can say "schatzie*," "oy gevalt," "dumpkopf," and "mach schnell,"), they would stop, except for the one woman outside the grocery store where I was about to continue my desperate quest for diet Coke that didn't cost two euros a bottle, which is almost three dollars in real money, who insisted on continuing our conversation. I shrugged my shoulders and smiled. She talked. Maybe she got something out of it.



* I wanted to name one of the cats "Schatzie," but SH wouldn't have it. "It reminds me of Marge Schott and I can't stand her." I told him that my German grandmother and my dad used the word as a term of endearment or sometimes to refer to someone's hot little honey, but he wouldn't budge.

2 comments:

AKJ said...

Not sure if your logic applies to me, but when I was in Laredo people kept coming up to me and talked to me in Spanish. I am pretty sure I don't look hispanic.

LPC said...

When I travel people often come up to me and speak beer.