Monday, September 21, 2009

Marriage 102, Lecture 453: How to be a gold-digger

Photos of the flour mill we visited in the Peak District. It's still a working mill, although they make only small batches of specialty flours. SH and I love to look at machinery and between the two of us, with his being an engineer who remembers every bit of trivia he reads and with my being a process-improvement person who took all the manufacturing course she could in grad school because MAKING THINGS is the fun part of business, we can pretty much figure out what's going on. But there was another guy -- a railway engineer -- touring the mill at the same time we were and he was explaining how everything worked to us. Even though we hadn't asked. Even though we were politely non-committal every time he said something. Once he informed me that the beer in Milwaukee was inferior, though, I decided it was time to avoid him. Did I say ugly things about his country to his face? No I did not. Insulting Wisconsin beer was uncalled for.

SH: What's this?!

Me: What?

SH: You put TWO STAMPS on this letter.

Me: Yeah. It's going to England.

SH: Oh.



SH: But is that the postage to England?

Me: It's about that.

SH: You didn't check?

Me: No.

SH: Why not?

Me: Because it's about that.

SH: But! But you should check and get the exact amount! I have other stamps upstairs, you know.

3 comments:

LPC said...

Have you ever listened to the lyrics of the Kanye West song? Do. They are very clever.

BethanyC said...

CF, unrelated comment... I nominated you for a little blog award over at my place. Thought you might enjoy playing along. Although, if you don't have the time or interest, no worries.

class-factotum said...

L, I read the lyrics. I have some work to do. I have got to get better at this.