Monday, September 28, 2009

Marriage 201, Lecture 834: Working for a living, or, Why I am a gold-digger

What follows is a dramatization of an actual, 15-minute conversation. The boring/redundant (of which there were many) parts have been eliminated.

Me: Maybe I should get a job.

SH: No!!!!

Me: Why not? You're tired of working and if I made money, there wouldn't be so much pressure on you.

SH: Because if you get a job, then I'll never have a normal life again. You'll want to get up early to exercise before work and that means you'll want to be in bed by 9:00 and we'll never see each other and I won't get enough sleep.

Me: Even if I didn't exercise before work, I would still have to be up by 6:30 to get to work by 8:00.

SH: And you'd be making noise, taking a shower and making coffee and I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep. It would be horrible. [Add lots and lots of SH DRAMA here.]

Me: Calm down. I haven't even looked at job ads, much less applied. This is not a real issue.

SH: I would never have a normal life again. And we'd have to hire a housekeeper and you wouldn't like how she cleans. This is horrible! [More DRAMA]

Me: Chill!

5 comments:

Richard in NY said...

How about something part time?

Jan said...

I'd give just about anything to have that conversation.

Me: Really? You don't want me to work? Here's my resignation, effective last week. I'll see you in a couple of hours - I want to drive out to the country and takes some photos. Oh, and I'll be starting two new blogs. Have fun at the office, Dear!

class-factotum said...

I know, Jan. I have no reason to complain. It wasn't as if I was in love with my so-called career. But I did like making money. And I liked my projects. And I liked most of the people I worked with.*

I love having the freedom to hang out with friends and go to the gym and cook decent meals and garden, but I want to do all that AND make money and wear nice clothes and get recognition. I guess there is no pleasing me.

Richard, I would love something professional part time that would require no real commitment on my part. Know of anything?


* Not the project manager, whom I made the mistake of calling an idiot to his face. He had the power to eliminate my job, which he did. Who's the idiot now?

Anonymous said...

Yikes, do you think your previous job was a 'spite cutback'? Keep enjoying the freedom to travel with SH....that is priceless & life is short!!! White-Chocolate

Richard in NY said...

CF, I'd look for something part time at a non-profit. They tend to be more flexible about hours, and would be happy to have someone with your education who doesn't have to have a full benefits package.

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=non+profit+jobs&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Any job is going to be a "real commitment" because you'll be doing something important for the organization.

I think you'd do well in event planning and fund raising.

regards,