Sunday, October 18, 2009

Marriage 201, Lecture 46: When I'm 64 and various

UPDATE
Do not worry. I am not married to a jerk. I edit things to make them funnier. Or to make them what I think is funnier. The world might not agree. Sigh. I am so misunderstood. My genius will not be appreciated until after my death. But it is nice to have readers who defend me. Thank you.

SH: Why do you care that you're getting closer to 50?

Me: Because I'm getting old and ugly.

SH: So? You don't need to attract men any more. [I love you. I am getting older, too. I think you are hot.]


-----

After an argument about the correct way to wash socks, with SH maintaining that one must match the pairs at every step of the process and my saying whatever, if I end up with an odd sock, I know its mate will turn up eventually.

SH: I sweat the details! You don't.

Me: I know.

SH: But you get a lot more done than I do.

--------

SH: Should I use a washcloth to clean my incision?

Me: Why not?

SH: Because it will get dirty.

Me: So?

SH: But that's not good.

Me: Washcloths are made for man. Man is not made for washcloths.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Isn't sweating the details what engineers are supposed to do?

When I talk with DH about getting old (specifically the grey hair that's popping out at an alarming rate), he says, "I still love you. And you can color your hair if you want." Thanks, babe.

class-factotum said...

Melissa, absolutely! That's why he and I make a good team: I am the big picture person and he sweats the details. When I was in grad school and when I was working, I always tried to get detail people on my team because I am NOT a detail person. (I am, however, ruthlessly organized and really good at getting people to work together toward a common goal.)

I started coloring my hair a few years ago just because I wanted a different color. Now I am coloring it because I don't want to be gray.

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Well, someone needs to talk to the man about that first comment, tho I suppose he meant it in an affectionate way...
And the last are words to live by.

class-factotum said...

Maureen, I went on to say that I wanted to attract him and he assured me that I did and that he was aging just as much as I was. :)

Jan said...

So, was he able to find his way back after you slapped him into next week because of that first crack?

What was done said...

Getting old is only in our mind.
Age never prevented people from doing things:
http://www.whatwasdone.com/