Thursday, October 15, 2009

Marriage 201, Lecture 89a: It's not a tumah

After reading the comments from my medical friends (Nurse Maureen) and non (facebook people had a lot to say about this, too) and then googling "post-excision infection" and finding nothing but "Call your doctor!" I was not inclined to take The Engineer's suppurating wound lightly. When he called me a few hours ago to tell me it was still stinky and oozing, I told him I was calling Doctor B for him, even though I could tell he (SH) was rolling his eyes.

So I called Doctor B and spoke to the nurse, who told me SH needed to be seen.

I called the insurance company to find an urgent care center near his hotel. (No, not the emergency room because this is Not An Emergency.)

Then I called SH and told him where to go.

I'm BUSY! he said.

I don't HAVE TIME FOR THIS! he said.

It's NOT THAT BAD! he told me.

Well. I don't know. Then he said, "If one of the cats had an infection, would you take it to the vet?"

NO. We have discussed end of life issues for the cats and I maintain that the way we are going to handle anything outrageously expensive (ie, more than a few hundred dollars) is to give the cat a cigarette and a blindfold. I know some people spend thousands of dollars on their pets and that's fine but that's not our (mostly my) choice.

So. I agreed that I would not take the cat in for something like this, but when we got off the phone, I realized that a husband is a lot harder to replace than a cat.

10 comments:

Laura(southernxyl) said...

Our little Molly's UTI required two trips to the vet and two rounds of antibiotics but it didn't cost thousands or even hundreds of dollars. Sometimes a serious problem has an easy and inexpensive fix.

If it was my spouse, I'd tell him what I've told mine on other occasions: I have told you that I think you ought to go to the doctor. I've even scouted one for you. If you don't want to go to the doctor, fine, but then I don't want to hear about it anymore. That's actually gotten him to the doctor more than once.

MrScribbler said...

I have found cats harder to replace than a wife...even the expensive cats!

John0 Juanderlust said...

I'm with you re loyalty to species when it comes to expense priorities. Lots of humans hate people. Odd thing. Only species that seeks to extinguish itself.
He either needs to go to the meds or get some 150 proof or better drink of choice and give the leg a drink for every one he takes, Continue until bottle is empty.
Do not risk gangrene.

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Hey, thanks for the shout-out. Hopefully either he's better today or he's had some sense knocked into him and gets seen.
Men...

SH said...

Maureen, I appreciate your concern. It's definitely better this morning and not worse. I'm going to do the same thing I did yesterday (soak in hot water, saline wash, apply lots of antibiotic ointment), go home from my business trip and then re-evaluate.

This is incredibly frustrating because it started with elective removal of a cyst. I'd rather have the cyst back--it was there for many years and never did any harm!

class-factotum said...

I'd rather have the cyst back--it was there for many years and never did any harm!

And this is where it becomes All My Fault -- because I am the one who insisted he have it removed. :)

(Nothing to do with the horrible bruising that was appearing and his comments of "This is starting to hurt.")

SH said...

The bruising was minor, not horrible. It was a small annoyance--much less of an annoyance than an infection!

I went to the doctor to get the damned thing removed and what I got was something worse. Thinking back to when we took the stitches out, there was some drainage right away. The infection may have originated in the doctor's office when the cyst was originally removed.

My treatment seems to be working (although I should have started it a day or two earlier). I'm not going back to the doctor unless I need to.

Jan said...

SH - are you my husband's long-lost twin? You are, aren't you.

Lindy said...

SH - I'm an analytical like you; I almost always feel I know more that any doctor. That said, an infection can kill you and doctors can prescribe drugs that will heal you very quickly. So don't be so stubborn; head out to one of the many fine Milwaukee urgent care clinics as soon as you get home.

"I'm not going back to the doctor unless I need to." You need to!!

Anonymous said...

SH needs to soak frequently in Epsom Salts and then apply Tea Tree Oil frequently. (See a doc ASAP too!!!)