Saturday, October 17, 2009

Marriage 201, Lecture 90: Happy, happy thoughts

UPDATE:
You should know that all of SH's wailing and gnashing of teeth about The Smell and The Oozing was overdone. He is a Drama King and tends to exaggerate. He showed me the bandage this morning and said, "See? Overflowing!" and I was like, What? There's hardly anything on there. That's not overflowing. I know overflowing if you know what I mean and that?

Is not it. And I smelled it and I had to put my nose right there and OK, it was a tiny bit smelly, but it was the old blood smelly, not gangrene smelly. I don't think he'll need an IV antibiotic drip as Dr B's nurse suggested.


Laverne? Does not like to be held.


So The Engineer got back last night and he was walking just fine and not crying in pain. He took his temperature and it was normal and then he took off the bandage and it's getting better. If you want the gory details, go here. (That is my archive blog where I am transferring what I had backed up from Journalspace, which lost FOUR YEARS OF BLOGGING AND 75% OF MY READERS. But. I? Am not bitter.) I know there are people who get grossed out by this stuff and I am one of them but I am also weirdly fascinated.

And now for those who don't want to think about incisions and infections, you may think about the mussels with white wine and cream sauce that I made last night.


And the chocolate espresso tart I made as well. Between the two of them, they used a pint of cream, so it worked out fine. Cream doesn't freeze that well. Alas. When it is on sale for 50 cents a pint, is it worth it to stock up? Discuss.

Anyhow, I made this tart but mine does not look anything like the one below. This is Martha's version. Not my friend Marta, who also has fabulous recipes and fun writing so check her out, but Martha from the Big House (which is why you NEVER lie to the feds -- take the 5th).

3 comments:

Jan said...

50 cents a pint? I'd be making a LOT of cream-based dishes for the duration of its shelf-life.

The mussels look delicious.

And I'm so glad SH's leg isn't going to rot and fall off.

Lindy said...

Thanks for putting the gory details on another site. I was mildly tempted to click and read, but thought better of it. Glad to know that SH's leg is getting better.

class-factotum said...

Jan, wouldn't it be great to eat nothing but creamy foods for a week? The mussels were delicious and they were so easy. Just steam them for a second in white wine, then add onion, garlic, salt and cream.

Lindy, I did that just for you. It's not so gory but you probably don't want to see the photo. It's a lot worse than the ones the suture removal.