Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Tuesday

Yes, I dug the peanut M&Ms out of the trash after my friend Gary suggested that I bag them and use them for Halloween. Even though the peanuts are stale*. Which is why I threw them in the trash in the first place. Is that wrong? They were on top of clean things.


SH and I think we will give out Halloween candy this year. We are not sure. We might go out to eat instead.

In Memphis, I gave it out only one year and then stopped. I was happy to throw chocolate at the kids in my neighborhood, the ones I saw skating and biking and playing on my street, but when I realized that families from other neighborhoods were driving their kids to my street and dropping them off, I got annoyed. Yes, it was sad that their neighborhoods were not safe and I guess I should have been more charitable, but I just did not want to spend $$ on kids I did not know. I know, I know. That was not nice of me. In my defense, some of these kids were older and really beyond trick or treating. I'm a sucker for a kindergartner in a costume. But once you're 12 or so? Give it up.

We have a lot of kids on our street here and they are nice kids. Plus SH wanted to try the dark chocolate Kit Kats that we saw at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago.

I love candy corn, but this gourmet candy corn looks nasty to me. What's wrong with plain old orange, brown and white candy corn? Must all traditions be re-invented?


* Peanut M&Ms bought on sale after Christmas do not last until October, even if refrigerated. The peanuts go slightly rancid. Not enough to stop someone desperate for chocolate (ie, me) to eat them. Just enough that they don't taste as good as they should.

9 comments:

Becky said...

I tried the blackberry cobbler candy corn. Trust me & just leave it on the shelf. Although it would double for air freshener in a pinch.

Anonymous said...

Candy corn is right up there with 'circus peanuts'....blah!!! Giv me chocolate, or give me death-or better yet, give me 'Death by Chocolate'!!!

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

I am posting about this next week, but because we live in a rural area, all the kids flock to the town to Trick or Treat. And they do it pretty much right on thru High School. I always wonder if those people who have to get all that candy get pissed, but they seem to genuinely embrace it, inviting the kids inside and all. Maybe I should bring THEM some candy?

John0 Juanderlust said...

re the trashed M@Ms, savvy yet paranoid parents won't let their kids have treats which aren't in the original package, and in many cities, law enforcement advises against consuming anything like homemade cookies, etc. Candy pieces retrieved from the trash could land you on the news, and not in a good way. I suggest giving away cigars and condoms.

class-factotum said...

Maureen, your neighbors are undoubtedly much nicer people than I am. I don't even like puppies.

AndiMAC said...

Candy corn flavored Hershey's Kisses.
That's all I'm going to say!

Jan said...

We've always loved Halloween, and I'll be posting about it, too, next week because there's a tradition in the town we've moved to up here that just drives me bananas.

The Young One, who is 14, will be Trick or Treating this year, but not for candy; he's collecting spare change for Unicef. I don't know WHERE the idea came from, but I'm more than happy to buy him a costume so he can do this.

class-factotum said...

Maureen, I think in an area like yours, a small town with a rural population, town people still consider the rural ones their neighbors. The kids all probably go to school in town, right?

When I was in Memphis, kids had their own neighborhoods, but they just weren't as lucrative. They weren't MY neighbors. Tribal, selfish, mean, I know. I know. I should have thought about the poor kids who were stuck in a crummy neighborhood. It wouldn't have been that much extra cash.

Jan, I remember the UNICEF collection from when I was a kid.

Melissa said...

Have you ever had truffles from the Chocolate Garden? It's a little place in Coloma, MI that DH and I found on our travels through that area last year. If you like chocolate, you will *love* these truffles.

It's actually a good thing that the only way I can get them is through mail order. It forces a rationing that I wouldn't be able to do if I lived in the same town (or even the same state).

And no, I am not connected to this business in any way other than being an adoring fan and sharing my love of the products :)