Sunday, November 08, 2009

Blast from the past

My boyfriend’s parents did not care for me much. I hope this dislike was more because I was A Girlfriend of their only son and not because of me personally. But his mom was convinced I was a galoot – I had eaten her salad once at a restaurant (now I know that solids are on the left, liquids on the right) and I had also sent a crab leg flying over her shoulder, casting off butter as it spun through the air, when I tried to open it by pressing on the end the way you would a tiddlywink.

I had also used the Company Towels at their house once, thinking I was company. The next time I went, there were paper towels sitting next to the bathroom sink. I got the message.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow. I can't imagine what his life was like as a child...

class-factotum said...

Melissa, he was a great guy, but yeah, I took a shortcut across the living room once, which had plush white carpet and he said, No! Don't do that! It will leave footprints! We'll get in trouble!

In all the years we dated, we never once set foot in that room.

Bless his heart, he didn't know how to cook because his mom wouldn't let him in the kitchen because she didn't want him to mess it up.

He turned out great. He is an EE professor at UVA. (Yes. I am attracted to EEs, I guess. Or maybe they are attracted to me.)