Monday, November 23, 2009

Marriage 201, Lecture 129: Being and on-timeness

6:59 p.m. last Thursday. We are walking into the Milwaukee Public Museum for a lecture on astrophysics at the planetarium. Yes, we are well-rounded intellectual types. Why do you ask? I am nagging SH.There is another couple walking in at the same time.

Woman of the other couple: Are you fighting about the same thing we are?

Me: Do you mean are we fighting about how if your husband said we should leave the house at 6:30, he should have gotten into the shower before 6:15 and if he didn't get to eat any supper before we left, it's his own darn fault and no, I DON'T know where the planetarium is and if we're late, it's his fault and I don't care if we're late for church but I do not like to be late for something like this?

WOTOC: Yes. You are.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WTF? Sounds like you got there EARLY. 6:59. Did it start at 6:30? No? 7:00 start? Then what's the problem, that SH is one Efficient guy! No wasted time.

-gbeck

class-factotum said...

We were walking into the OUTSIDE DOORS of the museum. Not into the lecture itself. WE WERE LATE, GARY. LATE. Ha. I win.

Anonymous said...

You probably were just walking slowly and weren't ready to get out of the car immediately when it was parked. I think you could have made it. :-)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

-gbeck

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

So you 2 couples were living parallel lives in the same universe, huh? Cool.

SH said...

The lecture did not start until after we had taken our seats--and they were not waiting for us to take our seats.

Therefore, we were not late.

class-factotum said...

Gary: :) Nobody has ever accused SH of being efficient. At least, I have not.

Maureen, maybe she is blogging about the same thing right now?

SH has a different definition of "on time" and "late" from me. I define "on time" as "being at the place at agreed-upon time."

He thinks he is on time if he is there before the event starts, so if the event is supposed to start at 7 but does not start until 7:03 and he arrives at 7:02, he is on time. Even though there is NO WAY TO KNOW BEFOREHAND THAT THE EVENT WILL START LATE. I say that both he and the event are late in the example above.

SH said...

Yes, but the party that's later is the one perceived as "late," while the person who is not as late gets away with it.

I consider myself late only if I missed something (i.e., an event started without me) or I made someone wait.

Anonymous said...

By that definition, SH arrives 10 seconds ahead of CF, then its CF that is late. Smooth.

-gbeck