Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Marriage 201, Lecture 650: Don't call me stupid

Saturday, as we are playing tennis. In shorts. Which means something if you live in or know anything about the upper Midwest and how we had such a crummy summer and how we was robbed of our October as well.

SH: Darn it! My serves keep going into the net.

Me: Do you mind if I give you some suggestions? [Not that I am a tennis expert or anything, but it is always easier to see the mote in someone else's eye.]

Photobucket
I couldn't find the photo I was looking for so am using this one instead, as it fits a recent theme here.

SH: OK.

Me: You are parallel to the net. I think the teachers said you are supposed to be at a 45 degree angle to it with your foot pointing to the post. Also, you seem to be hitting the ball too late. Hit it when it is higher.

SH [tries my suggestions]: Oh that's much better!

Me: So you don't mind if I coach you?

SH: As long as you don't call me stupid* for not doing it right.

Me: I would never do that. I mean, I wouldn't call you stupid for your tennis form. For liking the Pet Shop Boys and Asia? Yeah. I'll call you stupid for that. But not for how you play tennis.

* Not that there is anybody in his life/family who would do that cough cough.

8 comments:

Jan said...

At least it's not the Grateful Dead.

*sigh* I used to like Jerry Garcia.

Melissa said...

When I read the title of your post, I could totally hear Kevin Kline's character in "A Fish Called Wanda." Sorry I digress...

That was really nice of you to ask before just giving advice. SH should appreciate that.

class-factotum said...

Jan, neither of us like the Grateful Dead. Sorry.

Melissa, I didn't know if anyone would catch that. I am impressed. Or maybe I'm not as obscure as I like to think I am.

class-factotum said...

PS And yes he should appreciate that I ask. I had a boyfriend who used to give me unsolicited coaching when we were bike riding and I did not appreciate it.

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

You were so polite; I'm impressed. And helpful. And not sarcastic. If I could be promised these things, even I might get married again.

Melissa said...

CF, I just happen to really like that movie. John Cleese and Michael Palin were great in it. I'm going to have to find it somewhere and watch it again.

class-factotum said...

Maureen, I come from a low-drama home where my parents fought infrequently and politely. SH comes from a high-drama home where his parents fight frequently and meanly. SH and I have frequent, passionate disagreements about politics, but we never get personal or mean about it, probably because he works very hard not to be like his dad.

Melissa, that's another one of those movies that I told SH he would like and he said oh it sounds dumb I won't like it and I said you will! you will! and he rolled his eyes and sighed and said FINE I'll watch it and then he said Oh! that was funny! I LIKED it! and I said I told you so.

Anonymous said...

What a great description!

"...a low-drama home where my parents fought infrequently and politely"

Sneezie