Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Chats du jour: In the merde

This is what my life has become: I now have to take a flashlight into the basement* so I can look at what I think is Shirley's uncovered poop.** I'm not sure it's hers, but I think it is. Laverne is a good poop coverer. Shirley?

Shirley has SH fooled. She has Laverne fooled, too. Not me. Not me, honey.

Not so much. She doesn't seem to get this whole "scoop some litter over the poop" thing. She scratches at the box but that doesn't accomplish anything, does it Shirley?

SH thinks she is sweet.

I think she is a glass-breaking, fig-eating, hat-sitting spawn of Satan, but she has a protector.

As soon as SH is gone, though. Just watch your back, Missy, is all I have to say.

Anyhow, I have to look at the poop to see if it is still bloody. You know -- that little bloody poop problem that could be worms (but a $40 lab test later, wasn't) or cancer or IBS (because our cats lead such stressful lives? please) or feline leukemia or food allergies.

Considering the treatment for almost all of these would cost almost as much as a new car and definitely more than a new cat, I had ruled out treating them, but the food allergy treatment was not so expensive although more than I was thrilled about paying. Thirty dollars for venison cat food. Sheesh. I should have just driven up to my uncle's place and gotten some of his venison sausage. It would have been cheaper and I would have gotten to see my family.

We put the cats on the venison diet a week ago. I've been checking the poop. If you are squeamish (Lindy) stop reading now.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

OK. The poop is no longer soft and bloody. It's harder and blood free. So I guess that's good. No cancer. No IBS. No kitty zoloft.

The bad is now we have to buy $30 bags of cat food. Honestly.

* Because we did not install a light over the litter box even though SH was worried that the cats would not be able to see it. Cats can see in the dark, I pointed out to him.

** When my friend L had her first baby, I asked if it was so bad changing C's diapers, considering C was L's baby. L looked at me and said, "It's still shit."

5 comments:

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Ain't that the truth! Working in a nursing home in HS, I always said I would never complain about baby diapers, and I didn't.
But I have 5 cats and 3 litter boxes. I am sick of kitty poop big time.
Great photo; they look like the royalty I'm sure they assume themselves to be.

Becky said...

We had to put our dog on duck & potato food for his allergies. Although the bag is $50 instead of $20, he also eats much less of it. I guess the higher quality food is more filling? Hopefully that will be the case with your new food.

Richard in NY said...

I had a cat with IBS. She just had to take a medication for it, which was a generic put into liquid form. It was not expensive to treat.

Laura(southernxyl) said...

My daughter, when she volunteered at the House of Mews in Memphis, laughed about all the different kinds of cat food they had to stock for the various kitties. Some of the cats with tender tummies had to have Green Pea and Duck.

Melissa said...

Your friend L is right. I love my kids, but diapers rank pretty high on the list of things I'd rather not do.