Sunday, December 27, 2009

Marriage 201, Lecture 310: For better or for movies

SH: I don't want to watch "My Fair Lady." I want to watch a Serious Drama.*

Me: But it's Christmas! We need to watch something light and happy.

SH: I don't like musicals.** Besides, we watched "Oklahoma" a few weeks ago. I don't want to watch another one.

Me: How about this? Just watch the first half hour. That's all. Then we can watch one of the other ones.

SH [rolls eyes and sighs a deep sigh]: Fine.

Half an hour later.

Me: OK. Turn it off.

SH: What?

Me: It's been half an hour. You don't have to watch any more.

SH: Well. I suppose I could watch a little more.

Me: Nope. We made a deal. Turn it off.

SH: No. Really. I don't mind.

Me: All right. If you insist.



* The other options are "3:10 from Yuma" and "When Did You Last See Your Father?" This is all my own stupid fault because I picked all three movies and I could have loaded the deck my way.

** He has seen exactly one musical in his life and that was "Oklahoma." Which he liked. He thought Shirley Jones was hot. She was.

2 comments:

Laura(southernxyl) said...

If he thinks Shirley Jones was hot (and it could be argued that she still is) then you should lay "The Music Man" on him. It's worth it just to look at the little girls' costumes. And Robert Preston as the con man - that role must have been written for him. And Hermione Gingold as the mayor's wife.

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

I'll bet he'd love "West Side Story;" the guy musical!