Monday, December 28, 2009

Marriage 201, Lecture 38: Turning into a pumpkin


Last night, SH used the second of his four Christmas coupons from last year to take me to Joey's Mob Scene to hear him sing. SH is a fabulous singer and I love to listen to him and the only problem with going out with him is

1. I hate staying up late
2. I hate cigarette smoke
3. I don't drink*
4. They let other people besides SH sing, some of whom, bless their hearts, are not - ahem - blessed in the voice department

But SH promised we would not "stay out late" so at 9:30, off we went. After half an hour, he sang twice, finished his beer. We sat through some good singers and a really, really bad singer who sang a really really bad song.**

Then SH BOUGHT ANOTHER BEER.

And I said, "You bought ANOTHER BEER?"

SH takes a teeny, tiny sip of his beer just to annoy me.

And he said, "Yes."

And I said, "But you said we wouldn't stay out late!"

And he said, "It's not late. It's only 11:00."

And I said, "That's past late. That's late thirty. By the time you finish that beer, it will be past midnight. I thought we were going to leave as soon as you sang again."

And he said, "Midnight is not late. Besides, you said, 'As late as I want.'"

* I'd rather consume my recreational calories in the form of butter and bacon, thank you very much.

** Me: Is this a test of my love?


*** He did let me pick all of his songs. He sang

Country Roads
Delilah
Galveston
The Last Waltz
Brandy
Suspicious Minds
Cruising (with Heather, who also sings beautifully)

5 comments:

Jan said...

Brandy??? As in, "Brandy, you're a fine girl, what a good wife you would be" Brandy?

Jeez, I'm old.

Unfortunately, I am an equal opportunity recreational calorie consumer. And I have the rear end to prove it.

class-factotum said...

Jan, yes, that Brandy. He knocks that one out of the ballpark. It's a really good song. It's going on his CD.

Lindy said...

He must sing well if he can make "Suspicious Minds" sound good. That's a hard one to sing.

Never been to Joey's Mob Scene. I love that Milwaukee has so many homey bars and that I don't know all of them.

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

And he's a singer! His talents are seemingly endless.
I think it's so sweet you guys had a quiet bacon-wrapped Christmas, just the 2 of you. And that photo will make a killer album cover. Tho I vote for the book by you too...

class-factotum said...

Lindy, this is a bar town, isn't it? And yes, he does sing beautifully.

Maureen, the first time he took me to hear him sing, I was wary. He'd been telling me he could sing, but anyone can say that. Then the first seven singers before him were awful. I thought, Oh man. He's going to be bad and I'm going to have to lie and tell him he sounded great and our relationship will be built on an unsound foundation.

But then he opened his mouth and everyone in the bar fell silent to listen to him and I thought, Whew! I don't have to lie!