Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Marriage 201, Lecture 311: And of these foods, thou shalt not eat

Yes, that bumpy yellow stuff on the upper left is tripe, aka cow stomach, aka menudo, tripas, mondongo, and guatitas. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Foods SH will not eat. Note that I love all these foods.

1. Anything with That Orange Flavor, like sweet potatoes or winter squash
2. Anything with That Almost Orange Flavor, like chard or beets
3. Anything with That Mushy Texture, like pinto beans or navy beans or red beans or cranberry beans. Black beans are OK as long as they are cooked with enough fat, such as the ham bone that Bonnie and Gary gave us last year at Christmas. Oh man did that make great soup.
4. Anything ending in "erry," such as blueberry, cranberry, raspberry, or cherry
5. Anything with That Sticky Texture, like peanut butter, although peanut butter is OK in dipping sauce for spring rolls or in West African Peanut Butter Stew
6. Bananas, unless they are in banana bread

Foods SH will eat and that are Not My Favorite:

1. Tendons, tripe, marrow, any fat I cut off my meat, and probably roadkill.

5 comments:

Jan said...

Tripe is one of the few foods I won't eat.

Spouses are weird.

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

He certainly has distinctive taste. Never had tripe either; don't think I'll need to try it too soon.

Class factotum said...

Jan, I have eaten it, but not on purpose. They fed it to us once during Peace Corps training. It tastes like rubber bands, only not as good. I quickly learned all the different ways to say it in Spanish.

Maureen, avoid it. And I am telling you to stay away from it not for the reasons I am advising you not to take that first taste of Nutella or dulce de leche.

Anonymous said...

Is that a bowl of pho? White-Chocolate

Class factotum said...

WC, yes, that is pho. We took my mom out to a Vietnamese restaurant before we left Colorado Springs yesterday.