Friday, March 26, 2010

Just open my veins why don't you?

Am I the only one who gets excited over finding a new tax deduction? So excited she can't sleep?

The other night - when I posted at 11:00 p.m., I was up because I had been in bed for an hour unable to sleep, bitter that we could not deduct the money we use to pay for SH's ex-wife's COBRA. We can deduct the alimony, but he agreed to pay her COBRA directly.

Then I started thinking that maybe we could deduct it. And how cool would that be? Because we are talking some cash here. And I am not a big fan of paying taxes and I am especially not a big fan of paying taxes we do not have to pay.

So I got out of bed and went to the google and guess what?

You can deduct it.

You can.

We are already expecting a big refund. (I hate big refunds - I noticed on the Wisconsin tax refund we got last year that there is a space for "Interest paid on refund" but they didn't give us any interest. Like that will ever happen - the government pays you for the money you have lent to it.) We got a refund last year and SH increased the withholding, but not enough, apparently.

Now we get some more. More! That means new shoes!

Actually, it means more paid toward our mortgage. More stockpiled toward SH maybe taking a sabbatical next year.

I stayed up for a while, playing with Turbo Tax, trying to do my 1040X for 2008 but to no avail.

So I went back to bed. Where I was unable to sleep because now I was thinking, Maybe we can take the home office deduction.

3 comments:

Laura(southernxyl) said...

Yeah, well, my daughter went from a dependent college student to a full-fledged self-supporting adult last spring. Which is a joyous occasion on 364 days out of the year.

She got money back, but we will pay in.

TosaGuy said...

Was it enough to pay for your property tax hike? I get to roll my refund right into my escrow recalculation. Somebody has to pay for big teacher pay hikes during a recession and $12 million dollar new firestations.

Class factotum said...

Laura, my sympathies.

TG, our taxes didn't go up. Maybe next year.

When we bought the house in 2008, the assessor wanted to come inside to do some kind of evaluation and we refused. We refused by mail and by phone and then someone from the assessor's office showed up at our door anyhow. We were livid. As far as I can tell, there is nothing in the Constitution that forces me to let a tax assessor inside my house.

We didn't let her in, telling her the value of the house had been determined by the market just a few months prior. I am still waiting for a tax increase in revenge.