Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Marriage 201, Lecture 34: Lessons in gold digging

Me: Can we change the divorce decree?

SH: I don't want to. She's old. What's she going to do?

Me: That's not my problem. But if she's getting [social security] disability, we ought to be able to reduce the alimony.

SH: It's not in the decree.

Me: I think the lawyers were on her side. There's nothing in the decree about her making a good faith effort to find work and apparently, that is a standard clause to include.

SH: We shared the lawyer and this was a standard document.

Me: No, I think they were on her side. The next time you get divorced, you need to get your own lawyer.

2 comments:

Fin said...

I was told it was impossible as well as unethical to 'share' a lawyer for a divorce. But that was in the early 80s.

Class factotum said...

Fin, I wish someone had told that to SH. This was in California and an allegedly "mediated" divorce. That sort of thing works only when both parties want the divorce.