Sunday, April 11, 2010

Marriage 201, Lecture 390: Fire

Me: So does Menards have any fire extinguishers on sale?

SH: Why?

Me: Remember how I left the doughnuts in the oven and the plastic melted?*

SH: Yes. You're paranoid.

Me: No, I'm not. The plastic didn't melt and drip, but some sugar must have because there was a teeny tiny little fire [that burned itself out in about two heart-stopping minutes] in the bottom of the oven.

SH: Oh no!

Me: That's why I didn't tell you. I knew you would freak out.



* Plastic #5 is not recycled here but it melts just fine in the oven** when you forget to remove the doughnut box before you heat*** the oven to make lemon bars.

** SH thinks the doughnuts are contaminated now which is fine with me because it means more doughnuts for me hahahahahaha.

** I hate the term "pre-heat," don't you? You can't "pre" a verb.

6 comments:

TosaGuy said...

I don't know what we can recycle in Tosa or not....when in doubt throw it in the bumblebee bin. People with GREEN JOBS can sort it out.

Bohemiandoc said...

Absolutely the doughnuts are tainted by the bisphenols and other chemicals that are released by heating. The bigger question remains: Why are there doughnuts in the oven? It's not like you live in NYC where people use their storage for things like dishes or sweaters.

Class factotum said...

TG, I thought it was just #1 and #2.

Doc, they were in the oven because we have to hide all food from the cats and that's usually a nice storage area. Or used to be.

Lindy said...

I've had cancer and believe that plastics in our environment are much to blame. I would be leery of eating the donuts. How about hiding them in the refrigerator?

Whole Foods has a bin for #5 which isn't collected in our city's recycling pick-up.

Class factotum said...

Lindy, I suppose I could take the doughnuts out of the box when I bring them home and put them in a bag and then in the fridge. The box is kind of big.

I am not a dedicated environmentalist, so I am not going to bother to take stuff from Tosa to WF. But if they ever start to recycle it, I will put it in the box. :)

PS I reuse a lot of those containers for giving brownies and cookies to neighbors, etc.

Bohemiandoc said...

I vote for no more oven storage.