Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Just counting my cash


Guess what I am doing right now?

While my newly-employed maid scrubs the kitchen floor and the cook prepares a light repast, I am gazing at the most recent issue of Caribbean Belle, flipping through its glossy, heavy pages, looking for my essay about marrying later in life and having to get used to someone who insists on stacking the silverware rather than just tossing it into the drawer.

That's right. You have before you a published author.


This is all thanks to reader Sayya, who is not blogging or commenting much these days, probably because she is due to have a baby about now. Sayya's sister in law is the editor in chief of the magazine; Sayya sent me to her SIL and voila.

Thank you, Sayya, and thank you, Caribbean Belle. SH and I will be taking that check and buying a winter place in an undisclosed location for reasons I cannot divulge here but let's just say there's a beach and Cuban food. We'll keep SH's phone with the Milwaukee number and whine about the snow in certain conversations while we sit on the patio drinking cafe con leche and eating maduros. Then we'll switch to mojitos and ropa vieja. Or medianoches. Ah, the life of an author.

5 comments:

LPC said...

Congratulations! Not that I can figure out where your contribution IS, but still.

Class factotum said...

Thank you, LPC. It doesn't look like they put their issues online, so I can't link to the story.

Jen on the Edge said...

Don't forget us little people when you're rich and famous. :-)

John0 Juanderlust said...

Not surprising. Congratulations.
But keep in mind, many have fled Cuba, not because it is a ruthless dictatorship, but to get away from the food!! Of course, some fled and brought the stupid food along. I hope your beach has some Mexican or Italian cuisine as well. But, for the cafe Cubano and the pastries I guess putting up with lousy omelets is worth it.

Melissa said...

Woot! That's very exciting! Though, as John said, not at all surprising because you are a highly talented writer. Many congrats, CF!