Thursday, May 06, 2010

Marriage 201, Lecture 22: Honoring

SH has many, many fabulous qualities, including the ability to fix things like major appliances and cars, thus saving us lots of money on repairmen that can be redirected to more important things like shoes and purses, a prodigious memory, including knowing the anniversaries of things like our first kiss,* and an ability to laugh at himself that lets me write about him in this blog without his getting cranky about it. Plus he is a hottie.

But perhaps one of the best things about SH is that he does not expect me to take over his holiday obligations just because we are married.

As in, I am not responsible for his mom and dad.

As in, they're his parents. He sends the cards.

As in, he buys them. He signs them. I do not have to sign them. My name is not on them.

As in, if there are presents involved, he chooses them. I might say, "You have got to be kidding. We are not going to spend that much money for this event," but that is the extent of my involvement.

As in, he gets it.




* Although he does not always use his remembering power for good. Shouldn't he just not notice that there is now a burn mark on the kitchen floor? I would not notice it if he had made it.

No comments: