Saturday, May 15, 2010

Marriage 201, Lecture 496: Weed is in the eye of the beholder

SH [as we are walking to the restaurant for his birthday supper]: We're lucky we don't have dandelions in our yard.

Me: What?

My dandelion-free yard in Memphis. Also grass-free, but that's another story. As in, when the weedkiller package says how much to scatter, they mean just that much and no more.

SH: Look at all the dandelions these people have!

Me: You think it's luck?

SH: Yes.

Me: You think it's just LUCKY that all the yards around ours are full of dandelions and our yard JUST HAPPENS NOT TO HAVE ANY DANDELIONS?

SH: Yes?

Me: No. We are not "lucky" [as I do that air quotey thing]. We are "hard worky." I have been pulling dandelions for weeks now.

SH: You have?

Me: You haven't noticed?

SH: No.

Me: Well, I have.

SH: You get the roots and everything?

Me: Yes! When I was a kid, my dad paid me half a penny for every dandelion I pulled from the yard, but it had to have the root attached.

SH: That's not a lot of money.*

Me: It was to me.

* SH thinks I was poor when I was a kid, but he grew up fancy, eating out a lot. His dad was in a union, which I think is silly for professors and not a good deal for the taxpayer, but that is a whole different story that cannot be discussed here.

1 comment:

TosaGuy said...

It is amazing how the story of a single penny during one's youth can frame one's outlook on life, work or view on financial matters.

A single penny, or lack of one, in my youth steered my perception of gov't and its insatiable appetite for taxes.