Monday, May 17, 2010

Marriage 201, Lecture 497: More for us

Y'all, I'm trying not to get too depressed that my cheese grits weren't demolished at my church book club Friday night. We read "Fried Green Tomatoes" and a southern dish seemed appropriate.


I even put a little sign in front of them - Cheese Grits with Cream and Butter - so everyone would know they weren't those plain, watery grits that you cover with your biscuit and ignore politely. Or maybe sprinkle with sugar and try to eat like Malt O'Meal, not that I know anyone who would do that.

No, these were the Good Grits: 1/4 lb cheese, one cup of heavy cream, and a half a stick of butter. Tell me you couldn't make a rock taste good with those ingredients.

But only about one-third of my grits got et. Was it my promotional campaign? Was I not encouraging that first taste? Or was it that once someone had tasted them, they didn't like them?

I suspect the first because once you have tasted Good Grits, you will never go back. I suspect that in Malt O'Meal land, grits are held in high suspicion and even the words "cheese," "cream" and "butter," which should appeal to the denizens of the Dairy State, were not enough to overcome their natural hesitation.

"Oh, maybe I won't try those tonight," is the thought that went through their minds. "That's a little crazy for Friday. Besides, there's fish fry when I get home."

Plus I was competing with Rita's fabulous (it was really yummy - I had to keep myself from being a pig and eating it all) rhubarb chutney and Leslie's pecan tartlets, so what was I supposed to do? I was torn between wanting validation of my cooking because I am totally competitive* and a big showoff and wanting a bunch of leftovers so SH and I could have them all to ourselves.

So I bit my lip and tried not to inspect everyone else's plate. And then when we were cleaning up, Leslie asked if anyone wanted to take home the rest of the pecan tartlets because she was on a diet (ha as if she needs to be) and I jumped in and said yes before anyone else could because they were so good.



* SH wants to play actual tennis games and I do not because I am not good enough to win and I don't want to play if I can't win. I just want to hit the ball around. Plus I think the scoring system for tennis is stupid. Just say zero, one, two, or three. What's up with this stupid love, 15, 30, 40 baloney?

3 comments:

Lindy said...

Dont' take if personally. Most people in the North have never had grits and can't see the appeal. Two of my close friends from Georgia love shrimp and grits, which I can't even imagine!?

Bohemiandoc said...

OMG- how can you NOT love shrimp and grits??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

John0 Juanderlust said...

Send all leftover grits my way. Yankees and left coasters have a skewed view of the south, which has been causing me to question the general notion that left coasters and (damned) yankees are innately more intelligent and informed.