Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Marriage 201, Lecture 920: If a man whines in a forest, does anyone hear him?

SH: [whine, whine, whine]

Me: Stop it. Man up.



SH: But, but, but.

Me: It's unbecoming.

SH: But I've had a hard week.*

Me: OK. Five minutes a day. You get five minutes a day to whine.

SH: But it's been a really bad week.



* He has. He had a big computer failure on Monday afternoon and spent 12 hours trying to fix it. No. He had not backed up his hard drive. Fortunately, it's not the hard drive; it is the motherboard (insert your own joke here) and he has been able, with the help of a Special Cable overnighted via amazon.com, to use the little notepad computer he got me to hook into his hard drive. Still, he has had to load all his software, etc.

7 comments:

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Oh, you are such a good wife. But even on a bad day 5 minutes should be plenty!

Heather Griffith Brewer said...

Sometimes men are worse than small children.

Michaela said...

What does class factotum mean? I cant figure it out...

Michelle Z said...

Funny, men don't think they whine or have periods. C'mon. After playing in our co-ed soccer game, David always whines the ref, how he's not fast enough, about the rest of the team (except me, he knows better), etc., etc. I let him whine until he takes a breath, and then I say, "Feel better? Or do you have more?" This usually stops him in his tracks because he realizes he was whining. Yes, whining.

Class factotum said...

Maureen, I think he needs to get his own blog.

Heather, I do believe you are right.

Michaela, have you seen the movie "School of Rock?" I saw that with a former boyfriend and he I was just like the class factotum character. When I started my blog, I was working and was absolutely convinced that everyone would be reading my blog, so I didn't want my co-workers to know who I was. Now, I might just use my real name. Except I have in-laws. And you know that story.

Michelle, I wish I could shame SH into stopping whining, but he takes a perverse pride in doing it. It could be also that he knows it annoys the heck out of me. But sometimes, he does deserve some sympathy. That's OK.

Michaela said...

I know the movie, but I cant remember it very well. I will check it out. I think it has Jack Black in it which isnt a bad thing. My Hubby whines a bit, but if I taught hundreds of teenagers every day and had to put up with their egocentric, barely comprehensible, jargonized monologues peppered with the word "like", well, I'd be whining too.

Anonymous Mother said...

Another movie character who fits the bill PERFECTLY is in the opening scenes of "Miss Congeniality" where a YOUNG future-Miss-Congenitality decks a boy with one blow--after she had rescued him and he was ungrateful.