Friday, June 25, 2010

Marriage 201, Lecture 734: No orange flavor allowed

Me: Neighbor Regina, would you like some chard? I have a ton of it that I just picked from my garden.

Regina: I've never had it.

Beer goes with brats.

Me: SH doesn't like it. He doesn't like anything with that orange flavor, like beets or sweet potatoes.

Regina: Oh, I don't like those either. I probably wouldn't like chard.

Back at the ranch:

SH: Where are you going?

Me: To give some chard to Pat and Ed.

SH: Good. I don't like it.

Me: Whatever.

Back home again, stir frying the chard. Usually, I would do it in bacon grease, but I had some oil leftover in the pan from making falafels (frozen! I am not that much of a cook) for lunch. I threw in some soy sauce because all I have is Good Salt and the grains are too big for everyday cooking. I really need to get some Morton's.

SH: You're eating?

Me: Yes.

SH: Let me try. [pause] Oh. That's not as bad as I remembered.

He goes outside to turn the brats** on the grill and returns.

SH: Let me have some more.

Me: Fine.

SH: That is oddly good. I was thinking about it outside.

He is now eating a serving of chard.





*Because everyone keeps bacon grease, right? You're not pouring it into the trash? That is WASTEFUL and we are of the Tribe of We Who Do Not Waste, plus bacon grease is fabulous for frying almost everything in and, apparently, for using as the fat in chocolate cupcakes and chocolate frosting. Oh, those cupcakes were good.

** My uncle Larry's fabulous venison bratwurst.

2 comments:

Anonymous Mother said...

I bought some red-stemmed chard today--the FIRST TIME I've ever bought chard! Grandma used to have it in her garden when I was a girl and I LOVE IT! I steamed it in the microwave.

If you have too much, do it in the microwave and then freeze it in meal sized portions. I'll LIVE ON THAT when I visit you!

Michaela said...

That's the way. Sneak the veges into him by making it seem special. See, Mommy's eating some... lol